Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What Is Right Is Not Always Easy

I would like to share something with you, that at first rendered me speechless, and then had me on my feet asking, "How do I get that started here!?"

Volunteers spend their time with dogs in their final moments, creating lasting memories
Every night one of nine people show up at the Animal Care and Control center in New York to spend the night, and create a lasting memory for a dog who will be euthanized the following morning. Whether it is a long walk, a special treat, or just time spent cuddling, members of the Compassion Program make it their priority to ensure the dog is happy and loved on his final night.
The Compassion Program, which started four years ago, focuses its efforts on animals that need extra support and love–animals that will be euthanized. It is primarily run out of New York’s ACC Manhattan shelter, with the hope of expanding throughout the state.
Members accept donations, host drives, and hold events to raise money to purchase special treats and toys to give to the dogs on their final night. “It’s about providing last minute tender love and care,” said volunteer Yolanda Crous.
The program was started when a combination of staff and volunteers came together in an effort to make sure dogs are given the same care as humans in their final days. It isn’t a job for the weak of heart, as each night the volunteers are given a list of dogs that will be euthanized the following morning. A kinship is born immediately, but at the same time the volunteer knows the next day the animal won’t be there.
“It’s one of those things where I don’t think I would have ever expected myself to do,” Crous admits. “But once you see the need, you can’t walk away.
The overpopulation of pets is a problem throughout the United States, and in New York there just isn’t enough room for all of the dogs in need. Crous said dozens of dogs enter the shelter everyday and its the goal of the Compassion Program to make sure the dogs are loved as much at the beginning of their lives as they are at the end.
“I feel like I am making a difference every moment I spend with the dogs,” she said. “And one of the best parts is the dogs give back just as much compassion as we give them. It is just amazing.”
~Printed in Tails Magazine

Your first thoughts...That's incredible, but I could never do that!" Second thoughts,"What we need is better spay/neuter programs," or "We need to put an end to these kill shelters." 
Do we need spay/neuter programs? Yes. Do we need to continue to fight this epidemic? Absolutely! However, there will still be some. And they deserve my tears!  They deserve some one to tell them that the unconditional love they had no doubt given in their life was not in vain.  They deserve my time, because they gave some one theirs.  They deserve a piece of my heart, because they gave some one theirs.  
"There comes a time when one must take a stand that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular, but he must take it because his conscience tells him it is right."~Dr. King

1 comments:

Mandy :) said...

I cannot imagine being one of those people, either. I am not sure how I could do it knowing they are going to die the following day, but I give them kudos because I agree: every animal needs that compassion and love throughout their lives' to the very end. It is very sad that so many animals are put to death every day; every year, and I guess this is a great program for these volunteers but wow... I think it would be very hard for me. It is hard enough to rescue an animal and find them a permanent home because I will miss them BUT, at least I know they are okay. This is an incredible story, and I hope and pray that one day we no longer have a need for these types of people because we will be a no-kill nation. So sad, though. Seriously. Wonderful people but what a sad, sad, sad job they have. :/